Saturday, March 12, 2011

Excess Basil

Basil is probably my favorite herb, so naturally I would want to grow some of this in order to use it whenever I want.
One thing I especially loved when I moved to the coast is the ability to grow basil and plants all year round!
No more frosts.... the life I had known for 18 years suddenly changed - I planted basil seeds they grew, I used the basil, it went to seed, I would collect the seed and sprinkle in the pot and the cycle started again...
I had basil at every stage

A m a z i n g  I was never without Basil!!

So after 2 years of this I now have quite an excess even after giving many friends basil plants.

 








I invited my cousin and a friend round the other night to have P i z z a with fresca basilico (fresh basil)
and these were the results...

Tomato base, basil, sun dried tomatoes, cheese



Tomato base, olives, garlic, basil, cheese

Tomato base, garlic, basil, sun dried tomatoes, olives, cheese


Have a go at growing your own herbs, that way they will be fresh every time!

6 comments:

  1. Tasted fantastic! Well done R Cakes. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore fresh herbs and have started a little container garden with basil...will see how they go before planting a few other varities.

    I saw your comment on Fi's poo free post...great to know that someone with my hair type is going poo free. I too used to leave conditioner in and add more if it frizzed...am hoping after a week or so to see an improvement. I would be interested to hear how you go later down the track
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I moved in town I couldn't have a garden so I have pots!! love it!
    Yeah will be good to hear how your hair goes, keep us informed!
    Occasionally I put a tiny bit of olive oil on my hands and rub through my hair, it doesn't make it oily, just moisturises and gives more shine, I also rub it into my hands. Your skin soaks it up rather than being oily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip about the olive oil...I did consider getting some coconut oil to tame the frizz. This past week I have had a few positive comments about my hair so it seems to be working okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic, Fi mentioned about the coconut oil, not sure where you get it from? any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum I love love love basil! This summer has been a bit light-on in the basil growing department, usually I have a freezer full of pesto by now!

    Also thank you for your comment about food dehydrators. I've been lusting (well not really lusting...just longing) after one for ages. I'm waiting for the budget to allow it!I borrowed one last year & the fruit leather was an all round hit at our place.

    ReplyDelete